Monday, September 20, 2010

Da Bears

I admit I've been a little hard on the Chicago Bears lately. It may have been justified, however, as they didn't even win a pre-season game (not that that counts for much). Their first game left a lot to be desired (e.g., whether or not we had any resemblance of an offense). As it turns out, not only can we execute offensive plays for positive yardage, we can win games doing so. I was as surprised as anyone. I ran errands Sunday afternoon only to come home to flip on the TV and see the bears WINNING late in the 3rd quarter against the much talked about (but rarely good) Dallas Cowboys. The Dallas offense was suppose to be lethal. Their defense was talked about us "superbowl caliber." Neither were true. Instead, the Bears put together (finally!) a complete game to win - on the road mind you. They say teams improve the most between game 1 and game 2 in a season. Gauging from the Bears most recent performance that couldn't be more true. We'll see where this new found success leads. After all, the Bears play the Packers at home next Monday evening on Monday night football. You can bet people will be hyped up about the game. I am just hoping the Bears can win with consistency. At the very least, we know they have it in them.

I leave for the great Northwest on Saturday. Packing has begun! It will be no small feat getting ourselves and our gear out there. That's part of the fun, right?

I managed to make great progress on my PhD personal statement this weekend. I've sent it off today for feedback and editing. I am excited about it. It took a few weeks to get it in the form and style (not withstanding the content) I wanted it to be in, but the pieces have come together. I hope to have the statement finalized by October, recommendations gathered in November, and all materials submitted by December 1st. Things aren't due, technically, until after the holidays but I'd rather just sit back, relax, and hope for good news.

Stay tuned for commentary and pictures from the great Northwest!

Peace always.

2 comments:

  1. Getting a PhD is about learning to do and manage many things, while simultaneously playing many other roles in your life. At an older age, many subsystems in life can work against you -- there are demands from the professional, the personal, and the physical facets

    ReplyDelete