Saturday, December 20, 2008

Creme Brulee

This may come as a surprise to many of you, but I enjoy college football. In fact, if you know me well, you know I enjoy Iowa State University (ISU) athletics. While ISU has somewhat of a reputation for being a “basketball school,” mainly because of the heartache circulating around ISU football , I can’t help but STILL cheer on Cyclone football. I guess this makes me a die hard fan.

And yes, you are right, there will be no “bowling” for ISU this year - they only won two games and their head football coach skipped town after two seasons. I am just fine with Coach Chizik leaving, from what I could tell he’s all show boat and ego, something that doesn’t mix very well with ISU fans. In fact, you could say not only is ISU athletics not very flashy or sexy but the institution itself isn’t either; it’s a place that excels with the likes of agriculture, engineering, and veterinary medicine as top programs. That’s ok with me, too, it’s a meat and potatoes, down to earth place that takes pride in the important things.

Speaking of important things, ISU hired its new coach today - Paul Rhodes. Like ISU athletics and the university itself, it’s not a WOW hire or what many would call a big splash. I had to do some reading up on Mr. Rhodes, and remember, I’m a die hard. After some research, I am genuinely pleased with what this man brings to Ames - integrity, hard work, a familial atmoshphere, knowledge of the game, relates well with young men, and has a desire to want to be at ISU, to be apart of the Cyclone family. Time will ultimately tell how Rhodes does as ISU’s new football coach. After Chizik’s (former coach) dog and pony show ISU seems to be getting back to what it does best - excelling with less in a culture that expects more. I’m looking forward to tasting the meat and potatoes and passing on the creme brulee.

No comments:

Post a Comment