Monday, December 15, 2008

Winds a Whirled

It seems as though I get to this point every December where classes finish for the semester - papers, presentations, finals, and all the academic rigor over. Attention turns toward Holiday happenings, travel plans back to Iowa, and of course an awareness of gifts to be purchased. The “practical Christmas” can overwhelm.

This year, however, I’ve been able to approach the Holidays a bit different. I’m not sure if only having one class to finish meant less of a hectic run to the end, or if I’ve just been a bit more attuned to the Season of Advent, but I’ve felt a crisper, fresher sense about the impending birth of Jesus.

As the cold ’winds a whirled’ outside this Saturday, I snuggled up in a blanket and watched a movie where Whoopi Goldberg became Santa. Through all of her resistance and often comical response to the idea of her being Santa, she glimpsed a new-found spirit that called her back to the simple message (but large implications!) of the incarnation - the sense that all of us are our brothers and sisters keeper. Whether this is celebrated amongst family, co-workers, friends or others, it’s an astonishing realization that our (humanity’s) common brokenness and giftedness is the inbreaking of the Kingdom of God in the here and now. Joy to the World!

As the winds snapped outside, I felt an inbreaking of the special message of Christmas inbreaking in my spirit, too! With the academic piece put away for the year, I am looking forward to sharing in and being apart of the spirit (breathe) of Christmas, whirling around and touching those who are open to its message. I hope I am fortunate enough to feel it’s breeze sweep over me at some point. I hope this for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment