Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cool Joe? No.

Ryan is making a concerted effort to get back to the gym! I've come up with a "plan" that entails working out 4 times a week. Instead of going "balls to the wall," my new work-out philosophy is slow and steady. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I figure if I can jog for about a half hour a week I will be doing good. And once the muscular physique that is Ryan (note sarcasm here) gets into the swing of things, maybe I'll be able to increase the speed in which I jog or the length of time on the treadmill. Whatever happens, I am committed to doing something to stay active. Stay tuned - stories are sure to abound!

The natural response to any working out is making sure you have some tunes to motivate and sustain you while your huffing and puffing (and yes, I WILL be huffing and puffing). As such, I've dusted off the 4 year old IPOD and have been listening to some tunes on it this week on the way to work. Where did some of this music come from? Did I have no organization skills when I uploaded this music? Simply put - HOT MESS! I am back to the drawing board with the IPOD: re-organizing, uploading new music and deleting old stuff, finding CDs to get music from, sitting down and uploading my songs, creating playlists, and... well, you know how it is! I'm not particularly excited about this, but I know it will be time well spent when I am about ready to keel over from running and make an ass out of myself in the gym (which may happen anyway, but at least I'll have some Bon Jovi with me, encouraging me to scream out "Living On a Prayer so back off!").

I need to be a cool Joe when I work-out (not cool Joe like Joe the Plumber, there is nothing cool about his political "philosophy"). I'm working out at the campus recreation center, so of course many sport the latest work-out gear, sweat bands, tennis shoes, and the like. My version of "cool Joe" sports the latest spandex shorts, crew socks, and rankly old t-shirts that I don't care about. I don't dress up to work-out, nor will I ever. I chuckle when I watch the news while working out and glance around me - so this is what it is like to be on the "old end" of the age spectrum (at university gym this is certainly true!)? I'd like to think I will bring some sophistication, some class (and certainly sass!), and some wisdom. I'm just not ready to yell out "respect your elders" while panting like I've just rode the Tour De France. I guess I'll have to rely on my charm and charisma, wit and humor. I most definitely will bring the humor - decked out in my "gear" and sporting my work-out routine. Richard Simmons would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. I think the greatest part of this post is that in my mind the whole time I was thinking of Richard Simmons and in the end I got my reward.

    ReplyDelete