Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bandage Your Nipples?

I am beginning this post by drawing my readers' attention to the fact that the Catholic Bishops in Minnesota have been acting out against Gay and Lesbian faithful in their state this past couple weeks. Call to Action notes the following:

In the last month alone:
  • Archbishop Nienstedt of the St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese worked with a national anti-gay political organization and, along with other bishops in the state, sent hundreds of thousands of DVDs to Catholic households condemning the freedom to marry for same-gender couples
  • An artist-in-residence at St. Mary's Basilica in St. Paul was suspended for her desire to create an art installation with some of the same DVDs.
  • A group of students, women religious and a monk who wore rainbow ribbons and emblems were denied communion by Archbishop Nienstedt.
Unfortunately, I am not surprised my church continues to oppress and outright persecute Gay and Lesbian faithful. Their campaign here is like many they have orchestrated before. I ask people to speak out - raise this to consciousness where and when possible - to send a message that hate will not be tolerated. Send a message that love, that which God intended for everyone, is what Catholic really is about. I continue to pray for those who think exclusion is a form of love.

On a lighter note, Jeb and I got a Nintendo Wii on Friday evening (Jeb mainly, but I told him I would be happy to play along). We were up late Saturday evening trying out all the fitness options: running, snow ball fights, balance tests, yoga, and more. I was liking it! If you don't know much about Wii, it comes with an elevated platform that intuits your movement - how you lean, how much you weigh, etc. It can pretty much read all your body movements. I am not so sure this is a good thing - there are some parts of my body that don't move, and I would like it to stay that way. Nonetheless, it was fun to see all the tricks you can do (skateboarding, really!?). We haven't gotten any games yet (I really want Mario Brothers - old school!), but we are saving up for a couple we want to play together. The Wii is at Jeb's right now but I imagine it will be making it's way north for a few nights soon.

One final note. The Chicago Marathon was this weekend. I admire those who like to run - but for that long? Apparently you have to put bandaids over your nipples so as not to make your nipples bleed. Is this really necessary? Natural? Run that long? On top of that, I constantly heard ambulances coming in and out of the "run zone." Granted some of this could be heat related (why has it decided to be almost 90 degrees in October?), but - apparently again - this is normal for marathons. Really, ambulances? I guess this is a culture I just don't get (and it has more to do with the fact that I can't run - down the block). Even so, congratulations to all who made it out alive. You are to be commended.

Peace always.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, the band aids are necessary. And speaking from an evolution stand point it is much more likely that a human would need to run 26 miles then sit on there ass for 8 hours.... hello hemorrhoids, arthritis, carpel tunnel, back pain, poor vision, headaches and obesity... funny how a band aid doesn't seem so bad anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that it implies that running is absurd...so much as wearing clothes while one runs. Isn't it the shirt that makes the nipples bleed?

    ReplyDelete