Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to School

This update will be a hodgepodge of items. I apologize in advance for its randomness.

If you were me - and everyone else in Chicago - you were captivated by the Blagojevich verdict this week. It's true that he was only convicted of one count - lying to FBI agents. Let me repeat: he was convicted of one count. What's worse is that he is traveling the country speaking of himself as a victim. A victim!? Come on now. While I wasn't a part of the jury, I'd like to have a few words with those that were. Seriously, fellow citizens, after hearing those tapes you (at least some of you, anyway) voted to acquit? There are many times I don't understand human nature and many times I don't get human rationale. This is one of those times. For more on "blagopalooza" check out the link below. Folks, this is windy city politics. Double emphasis on windy.

Blagopalooza

Professional football season has begun. I caught some of the Bears - Raiders preseason game last night while out to dinner. As a Bears fan I couldn't be more underwhelmed. At the risk of judging this team too soon, I'll stop here.

Like the temperature in Chicago lately, work has been sizzling. It's that time of year again for me - last minute students scurrying to get admitted before classes start on August 30th. They only need one more letter of recommendation, their transcripts are being over-nighted, they'll write their personal statement tonight, and so the stories (you can't even imagine the stories!) go. I try - I try hard - to get good candidates in and settled into classes. This past week was crazy. This next week will be crazy, too. This always happens in August. I shouldn't complain; I realize we need students and, at least this year anyway, they seem to be plentiful and eager to learn (if they could only muster up that final letter of recommendation, of course).

I am heading back to school on August 30th as well. I am taking a PhD level class (systematics) entitled the Mystery of God by someone who received his PhD from, and has taught at, Harvard. I figure as I continue to discern PhD in theology studies why not start out with a bang. In all seriousness, I am nervous. And excited. Scared, too. Anxious as well. I figure if I am going to put all the time, energy, sweat and tears into something like a PhD I better really want it. I am hoping this class provides needed clarity - either a you got what it takes go for it or maybe a you should look into something else that utilizes your gifts and talents.

Finally, I did my "back to school" clothes shopping yesterday. I am fazing out cotton khakish pants for wool/micro-fiber dress slacks; I knew you'd want to know of this startling development. Dress slacks keep longer, maintain better, and wrinkle less. When it comes to clothes I need all the help I can get. I'm nearly 30 and still love "back to school" season.

I am in Kansas City this coming weekend.

Peace always.

No comments:

Post a Comment