Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mazel Tov!


I've been drawn to tea lately (please note this is in no reference to the U.S tea party and their ideological beliefs). As the 'dog days' of summer begin to flourish, I can't help but thinking often of sitting down to read with a fresh class of ice tea. Yet, when searching for recipes on how to make this perfect pitcher, I was amazed at how inconsistent the 'callings' for tea bags are. Some recipes - 3 bags seeping for 5 minutes. Others, 4-6 bags for 7 minutes. Yet others, 8 bags for 10 minutes. Even others, 16 (16!) bags for 5 minutes. I get it relies on preference, but really!? Perhaps the tea world could standardize some of this - for all of us 'northern amateurs' wanting a crisp glass of that perfect ice tea.

I attended a Korean - Jewish wedding last night. It was a blast! It was so wonderful to see these two families and their respective cultures come together in celebration. The wedding ceremony, rituals, music, food and people were so unique, welcoming, and rich in tradition and symbol. In the mainly German-Irish Catholic weddings I attend I don't often get a chance to see differing worlds collide like this. From the honoring of the parents in the serving of the tea to the mazel tov glass breaking, I was captivated (and humbled, really) at Damien and Susie's joining and new union and married life together. I wish them all the best; I was honored to be a part of their special day.

I am tired of oppressive heat. I long for the days of autumn weather, fall football, changing leaves, etc. I know, "there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." I can still look longingly for days of seeing your breathe and sweatshirts and jeans. I wonder if I'll want my glass of tea then.

Peace always.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you've walked over to the tea side! We should talk--i've been trying to hone some tea recipes the last few weeks for an idea Jason and I've been working on...you should try them!

    ReplyDelete