Monday, August 30, 2010

Grateful for Lasting Friendship

I was able to re-connect with friends from my time at Iowa State this weekend while at a wedding in Lawrence, KS. One of my cohort members got married. Time for a party!

We did party, too. Friday night when I got in, after having dinner with my brother, I went over to my friend Kate's. The fire was cracking and the s'mores were delicious. Of course we started out by having a few beers at the house first (around the campfire) before heading out to one of Lawrence's fine pubs. We managed to connect with the wedding party here and re-unite, once again, as one of the best cohorts to graduate from the Iowa State higher education program.

Saturday was spent prepping for Saturday night's festivities. After a slow morning we met up for lunch, walked downtown Lawrence, did some house visits, and made our way to Walmart to get some "old man caps" for game-time (I mean, wedding time).

The wedding ceremony was very basic. Unlike many of the Catholic weddings I attend with much rhetoric and symbol, this was very straight-forward and simple. At the end of it all, I found the simplicity attractive. While I still very much enjoy Catholic ritual, it's nice to be able to step back and re-examine what's important. For me, it was being present as they declared love.

The party moved to the University of Kansas Alumni Center where we were greeted with good food, great toasts, and of course a phenomenal open bar. It was wide open! It was fun. I am still sore, and very tired, but it was worth it. And yes, the old man caps (which the groom often wore in Ames) made their appearance to great wonderment and support of the older patrons. SHAKING the behind takes on new meaning when you are donning a hat to go with it! Pictures posted soon.

Thanks, Iowa State / Kansas friends, for an incredible weekend.

I am grateful for our lasting friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment